Here is how the project went:
The virtual tutoring did not go as planned. After trying to push the program with administration, our school let us do this in the last two weeks of school. We had very minimal responses from teachers, administration, and students. This made the group frustrated as we were not able to complete our goals for this project and make an impact on our school. However, this opened our eyes to the possibilities next year: we have the attention of the administrators and we can start taking more action with [hopefully] faster responses.
Through this project I/we learned:
Through this project, I learned that although people may not cooperate, there are still good things about certain situations. I learned that our group needs administrative support before doing any projects to make them much more impactful.
What I/we might change:
If we did this project again, I would make sure that I contact more than one administrator and get the project moving much faster. I would also advertise it to the students to get them interested and more involved with the Roots and Shoots Chapter at Gateway High School.
My/our favorite part of this project was:
My favorite part of the project was when I got an email from the principal stating that they would let us do our project. Although it was too late and the project didn't attract many, it made me very happy to know that the administration slightly recognized our group. Aside from that, our Tutoring group had a total of 25 people including some administration, and some students that needed and received help. Every student that asked for helped and received it by our RS team members, was another favorite part of this project.
Some tips, tricks or fun facts about the project:
The biggest tip is to make sure that you advertise the project with students to get more traction. Aside from that, I think the other tip would be to ensure the assistance from the administration when doing this at school.