Here is how the project went:
Although the walleye did not survive this year, the fathead minnows thrived. The State will come back in the spring to net minnows to take to other ponds before stocking us back up with walleye.
Through this project I/we learned:
Even though we did not achieve the outcome we wanted, we learned that we can have a positive effect on the fisheries as a whole.
What I/we might change:
We will only reclaim the pond in the fall so there is plenty of time for the water to recover before the spring fish planting.
My/our favorite part of this project was:
The weather did not cooperate with us the day of the fish netting so we had to hand pull the nets from shore. This was a new experience for all of our volunteers. We had previously only used a boat.
Some tips, tricks or fun facts about the project:
We found out that minnows were living in another adjacent pond. We had not stocked any into that pond. Ducks, geese, and turtles must have moved the eggs from one pond to another. Mother Nature found a way!