Here is how the project went:
Despite the social distancing required by the Covid pandemic these past several months, we've come up with other ways to work on our project. As newly appointed Board Members for our local Audubon chapter, we've been working on developing a community outreach program to help people make their yards wildlife-friendly. A large part of this effort involve native tree/plant species. Residential and business owners will have their yards assessed and we'll consult with them regarding plantings, eliminating pesticides, having a water source for birds and other wildlife, and providing a native habitat that offers shelter and food for the wildlife, and more.
Through this project I/we learned:
Through this project, we learned to reach out to experts and work collaboratively with them as we researched and organized our plan. We also learned about persistence, patience, and revisions in order to carry out what we hope to accomplish.
What I/we might change:
We hope to involve even more people in person next time around (as opposed to working with collaborators remotely), but with social distancing, it just wasn't possible over the summer.
My/our favorite part of this project was:
Knowing how far reaching the plan can go is one of our favorite aspects of the project. We hope to reach more and more people with the program we've developed to plant natives and attract wildlife to safe habitats for all to value and embrace.
Some tips, tricks or fun facts about the project:
When faced with bumps in the road, look for alternatives. Don't give up! If you believe in something, you will find a way to accomplish it.